Wednesday, December 2, 2009

An American Soldier


On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, a letter to a soldier from my family!

I hope everyone had an amazing Thanksgiving. I don’t know about you, but I had so much gobble it made me wobble. I’m glad it’s over with because that means it’s Christmas time! Yay! Our home has been decorated for three weeks now so I’m thrilled!

So my oldest is now three years old and it is becoming more and more important that I teach him the real meaning of Christmas. Therefore, I am attempting to involve him in as many “giving” activities as I can. We started with filling a shoe box full of goodies and necessities for both a little girl and a little boy. My son had an amazing time filling the boxes as we ran up and down the aisles of Target. If it were up to him, we would have thrown a set of patio furniture in the box, but lucky for me it wouldn’t fit! It was easy to get carried away, but I tried to keep us focused picking up toothbrushes, toothpaste, brushes, etc. and of course the “required” crayons and coloring books, trains, and cars. He had a blast putting the boxes together and once they were filled, we held hands and prayed over the boxes as well as for the children that would receive them.

Keeping the momentum going, today we created two homemade Christmas cards to be sent to American soldiers (see image above). I quickly found out that a one year old doesn’t necessarily want to trace his hand without grabbing the pen and a three year old can easily get “glue stick happy”. Though it took longer than expected, and I wanted to keep them to add to our “art” pile, I can’t wait for the boys to place them in the mailbox and wish them off. I hope the soldier who opens these cards finds them as precious and special as I do.

…Next on our list are stockings for the homeless.

If you and your family would like to send a Christmas card to an American Soldier, please address them to:

Holiday Mail for Heroes
PO Box 5456
Capitol Heights, MD 20791-5456

All letters must be postmarked by December 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment